Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pom Poms Do NOT Help Create Consistency - This Much I Know




I've been into health and fitness for, well...forever really.  Not that I've always done it the right way, but I've always been involved in some way, shape, or form.  When I think about people I've worked with, people I've worked out with, people I've associated with, or just people I've watched from a distance, it still surprises me how many of them have gotten caught in the start/stop/start/stop cycle of exercise programs.  They are also the people who tend to yo-yo diet and never quite seem to be content with where their weight is at.  I've learned over the years that when I see someone slipping back into old habits, the WORST thing for me to do is nag them or try to be their fitness cheerleader (it's my natural reaction, probably because I was indeed a cheerleader for a looooooong time - too long).  That just pisses people off, and I can't say I blame them.  People want to get fit and work on healthy habits in their own time.  Me doing high kicks and shaking pom poms in their face doesn't do jack squat in the long run (too bad, because I have a LOT of pom poms).  So, what I'm trying to tell you is that I've always had a hard time trying to figure out how to tell people about importance of consistency when it comes to exercise.  Here I am, 15 years after completing my first fitness certification, and I STILL don't know how to get the message across.  So, let's just put it this way, It's important.  VERY important.  You don't have to workout every day.  Really, 2-3 days EVERY week is better than 5-6 days a week for a few weeks every now and again.  Consistency is key.  And it can't be viewed like a diet, or a trial run or something.  It has to become part of your lifestyle.  It has to be a priority.  Nobody can make it one of your top priorities but you.  Maybe that's where people struggle.  Honestly, I don't know.  This post is kind of a shot in the dark, but here are a few tips that I think can help with making exercise a consistent part of your lifestyle.

Schedule workouts on your calendar - I've never really tried this one, but I'm guessing it would be a good idea.  I think the point would be to view it basically as something that CAN'T be missed.

Workout in the morning - This is a big one for me.  Even if I have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn, I workout in the morning.  It's a good way to get my metabolism cranking for the day and I don't have to worry about finding reasons to not do it later.

Work other stuff around it - For the most part, I don't schedule any appointments in the morning hours unless absolutely necessary.  It might seem self-indulgent or self-centered to some people, but it's just part of my lifestyle.  It's the only time of the day that I have blocked out for ME.  Everything else can wait (unless of course there's some kind of emergency or something).

Don't expect too much too soon - This is a big one for people.  We live in a world of instant gratification.  We like it that way.  We expect there to be an instant reward for everything.  But changing your body just isn't like that.  It takes time and patience and CONSISTENCY.  Results will come, but they will not come quickly.  I think that's where people get stuck.  They put in 3-4 weeks of hard work and don't see the scale budge, so they decide that it's just not worth it.  Getting fit does NOT fit into the "instant gratification" mindset.   Remember, the faster you lose it, the faster you'll gain it back (plus some).  Slow and steady.  That should be the goal.  In fact, I think people should only evaluate their progress every 6-8 weeks.  There's no reason to step on the scale every day.  Don't do it.

If you feel like skipping a workout, commit to 15 minutes - There are those days when you just don't feel like it.  I totally know.  But if you can get about 15 minutes into a workout, there's a good chance you'll want to finish it (but even if you don't, 15 minutes is better than nothing).  Sometimes it's just the "getting started" part that's the hardest. 

Keep your routine fresh and fun - If you're getting bored and you're workouts are feeling like a chore, CHANGE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.  I try not to do the same workout for more than 2 weeks, partly because I don't want to get bored.  When I mix up my routine (and my music), I find myself actually looking forward to my next round of workouts.  Get creative and have fun with whatever you choose to do.  

Give yourself a break - Missing a few workouts or even a week of workouts is NOT the end of the world.  You have to stay focused on the big picture.  Fitness should be part of your lifestyle, not just a trend.  If you miss some workouts, forgive yourself and move on.  Start fresh as soon as you can.  Even a week or two of missed workouts is truly a very minor set-back in the grand scheme of things.  

Okay.  That's probably too many tips.  Sorry.  I can get a little carried away with this stuff sometimes.  Feel free to comment and let me know what things help you with consistency.       

2 comments:

  1. Pay for it. It's kind of a lame one, but if I've paid for a class or time with a trainer or something, I'm more motivated to get as much out of it as I can. Granted, there are plenty of things to do without spending money, and I do those when I don't make it to my small group training class, but knowing there are people I like there and that I've invested moola- I am there more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amberly - That's actually the best tip of all. You're SO right. When I'm paying for a class/training, I'm much more diligent about doing it.

    ReplyDelete