Thursday, February 6, 2014

Me + Oatmeal = Happy


Don't you hate it when people say, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day?"  It's so cliche.  Unfortunately it's also true.  I'm crazy obsessive about eating within 20 minutes after I wake up.  Why?  Well, because I've just gone 7-8 hours (on a good night) without food, and when you're used to eating at least every 3 hours, that seems like a really long time.  It's also nice to have something to look forward to after having my daughter's feet jammed into my back for half the night (she's very stealth-like when climbing into my bed around 2 am).

For the past 4 months, I've been getting up 30 minutes before my kids for ONE reason.  To eat my oatmeal. I love having time in the morning to not have to hear my children fighting fuel my body properly, not just for my approaching workout, but for my entire day.  And yes, I eat oatmeal Every.  Single.  Day.  No food on the entire planet is more nutritionally perfect than oatmeal to start off the day.  Or OR to eat for dinner on those nights when you have no choice but to order pizza for the kids.  Which may or may not have been exactly what I did yesterday.  Just sayin. 

At any given time, you'll find between 2-5 of these jars in my fridge.  They seem to disappear rather quickly though. 



I make these several times a week and I just use dry erase markers to write the flavors on them.  Most of the time I simply grab one out of the fridge, throw it in a small sauce pan to warm it up (sometimes I add a little water to thin it), then I add the fixins.  Berries, bananas, nuts, raisins, coconut flakes, freeze dried fruit...there's no limit to the different variations you can come up with.  I have seriously even had DREAMS about making crazy oatmeal flavors.  And by crazy I mean Cranberry Bacon Applesauce.  Mmmmmmm (much sarcasm intended)!

I always use the same basic recipe (below).  Sometimes I swap out different flavors of protein powder, but the rest is pretty consistent.  However, a few months ago I discovered sugar free Torani flavorings.  Oh. My. Heck.  They have changed my life forever.  Now, in full disclosure, they aren't exactly what you would consider to be a "healthy" food item.  At all (helloooooo Splenda).  But I use such a small amount that I feel like it's okay.  In fact, it's the only time I use any kind of sweetener at all.  And you guys, the flavors are TO DIE for.  I have an entire cabinet in my kitchen dedicated to these babies.  There's a big sign above it that says, "Mama's Happy Cabinet."


You thought I was kidding, right?  My friends, I don't kid about guilty pleasures such as these.  

You can buy Torani Syrups online, but I get them at a place called Pirate O's (it's a local shop here in Salt Lake).  I haven't checked out where else they're sold, but I'd venture to guess that it wouldn't be hard to track them down.  And crazy thing, right now World Market has them in their stores.  I got Strawberry and Salted Caramel over the weekend (Zohmahgah!!!).  They retail for about $8.00 per bottle and they are worth every single penny.

Here's the basic recipe I use.

Refrigerator Protein Oatmeal
1/2 cup dry oatmeal (I use gluten free so my son can have it)
1 scoop protein powder (any flavor - vanilla is most versatile)
1 Tablespoon chia seed or ground flax seed
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup almond milk
water to thin (about 1-1 1/2 cups - it should be pretty thin)


Directions: Add dry ingredients to jar.  Then add wet ingredients to jar.  Mix with a spoon to loosen oats from the bottom.  Place lid on jar and shake until mixed thoroughly.  Stash in the fridge over night.  In the morning, dump oatmeal into small sauce pan and add almond milk or water to thin if needed.  Heat on medium for 5-8 minutes or until it reaches desired temperature.  Add Torani flavoring (2-3 Tablespoons - I just eyeball it) and any mix-ins.  EAT!!!!!

-Sometimes I add the Torani syrup before I put it in the fridge so my kids can just put it in a bowl and warm it up in the microwave without having to deal with the giant Torani bottles. 

These are my favorite combinations so far (PP = protein powder).
*Banana PP, caramel Torani, bananas & chopped walnuts (tastes EXACTLY like banana bread).
*Vanilla PP, coconut Torani, raspberries, coconut flakes & lime zest.
*Vanilla PP, almond Torani, peaches (I just use the frozen kind) & blueberries.
*Vanilla PP, white chocolate Torani, strawberries & chopped almonds.
*Chocolate PP, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, sliced bananas & dark chocolate chunks (no Torani on this one).
*Vanilla PP, cinnamon brown sugar torani, chopped apples & pecans

And now you can see why I have no trouble getting out of bed in the morning.

Here's your homework assignment: come up with some creative protein oatmeal combinations and send them to me (email or just leave a comment).  Anyone who turns in their homework will get a whole bag of chocolate protein chews in the mail.  No joke.  Get cookin people.  I need some new ideas.  

10 comments:

  1. I just sat down for the first time all day and this was a welcomed sight!! I love oatmeal, but have gotten so bored with it. And I hate how long it takes to cook in the morning. You can imagine what I will be doing tomorrow... shopping for some sugar free torani. :) I did get a laugh and do a double take over your bacon comment. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I gotta be honest here. I don't like oatmeal. At least that's what's in my head, but I'll give it another try. And my suggestion for you is something involving maple because the last time I remember liking the goop at all is when I was little and I'd eat maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. It wasn't so bad, but then again, it was probably full of sugar. I've heard about overnight oats a lot lately- and I am a fan of quick and easy breakfast that doesn't come out of a cereal box, so I'll be brave. Pray for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely praying for you. Seriously though, I think if you'll be surprised by this kind of oatmeal. Even my husband loves it (and he's totally not an oatmeal guy). Just experiment a bit with some different flavors of protein and Torani syrups. I think they even make a cinnamon/brown sugar flavor. If you really don't like it, you can always go the homemade granola route. I have a great high protein recipe. Let me know how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of Vanilla PP, caramel Torani, apples and cinnamon. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the heck Martha! I'm coming to live with you. So like, regular oatmeal or steel cut oats or what? Baby steps here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa - FABULOUS idea. I'm thinking I'll go throw that in a jar right now! Email me your mailing address and I shall get your chocolate protein chews sent to you pronto (annielewis@mac.coom). Thanks for playing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber - yep, just plain old oatmeal. Sounds boring. I know. But you'll LOVE it. And believe me, I am ANYTHING but Martha. That would be Lindsey: )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to come back and tell you that I love this. Delicious! Also, tell me more about these protein chews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, a little late on this one...I'd try chocolate PP, toasted hazelnuts and chopped dried cherries. And a few chunks of dark chocolate wouldn't hurt either.
    Or, vanilla PP, toasted slivered almonds, toasted coconut flakes plus a spoonful or two of full fat canned coconut milk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally jumped on the chia seed wagon. Made some over night oatmeal. Loved it, as did the wee ones. Thanks for a winner!

    ReplyDelete