Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Beat the Travel Bloat

While I was out of town last weekend I started thinking about things that pertain to nutrition and traveling.  I made a mental list of all the things that I do differently now than I did several years ago.  Basically that means I have about 10 posts on diet and travel written in my head.  I'm going to try to condense them into one.  But it might turn into two.  Possibly three.  Hang with me while I empty my head into my computer.

I used to dread going on vacation.  I didn't dread the vacation itself, but I dreaded the deviation from my normal eating habits.  Can anyone relate???  A vacation from my every day life used to mean a vacation from my every day diet awareness too.  I hated knowing that I'd most likely come home feeling bloated, disappointed in myself, and unmotivated to get my nutrition back on track.  Seriously, for me, it defeated the purpose of going on a trip.  That was until about 4-5 years ago, when I discovered that there was a better way.  I call it, Plan - Prepare - and Stay Aware.  Catchy right?  Okay, let's break it down.

First of all, you have to plan.  I know it's fun to go to a new location and fly by the seat of your pants.  It's fun to try an exotic restaurant on a whim.  Trust me.  I know.  I get it.  And really, I think it's fine to do that on a vacation.  Maybe once or twice (honestly though, I just don't do it anymore because...situational eating).  But here's the thing, if you want to be able to stick to your eating habits (mostly), you HAVE to make a plan.  Get online and scope out all the cool restaurants in the area.  Then make a list of the ones that offer the kinds of things that will work for you.  But let's be honest.  I don't think there's a restaurant on the entire planet at which you wouldn't be able to order a salad topped with some sort of lean protein and vinaigrette on the side.  In fact, just on this last trip we ended up in a restaurant that didn't have that kind of thing on the menu.  I asked the server if it would be possible for them to make me a big green salad with sliced chicken breast on top.  No problem-O.  I was extra hungry, so I also ordered some roasted pumpkin and apples on the side.  I was more than satisfied with my meal despite the fact that everyone else was having deep fried...everything.  I walked away feeling extremely glad that I resisted the urge to partake of the battered, deep fried goodness.  Blech!  Figure out where you're going to eat and what you plan to order.  It sounds excessive, I know.  But it works.  I know it can get tricky when you're traveling with other people, especially when they all want to go to a restaurant that just doesn't offer what you need.  But here's your chance to exercise a little willpower and set a good example.  You don't have to be a downer or self-rightous about it.  Just figure out a way to hit another restaurant and order something "to go", and then go back and join your posse.  Will it irk some people?  Yeah, probably (and we'll talk about that soon), but that's their problem, not yours.  Do what works for you and let other people do what works for them.




Next?  You have to prepare.  What I mean by that is be prepared with snacks or quick meals for those times when the plan changes and you have to just roll with it.  Also, unless you have the willpower to skip the pancakes, waffles, and french toast, don't go out to breakfast.  I learned this little trick a loooooong time ago.  I just don't go out to breakfast.  Ever.  If I start the day with a high carb, high sugar, low protein breakfast, I'm doomed.  So I simply don't put myself in a situation where that could happen.  I always always always take my breakfasts with me.  Remember my oatmeal post?  I was dead serious when I told you that I eat it every single morning.  Regardless of where I am, I eat my protein oatmeal.  I call it...Proatmeal.  These are my proatmeals in Ziploc bags.  I just put them in a mug or a bowl and add hot water.  It's quick, easy, and healthy, and it allows me more time to fit in a substantial morning workout when I'm out of town.  And best of all, I avoid the temptation to order that giant stack of pancakes drenched in syrup.



Another important thing to plan is snacks.  I hate having to run into a gas station or gift shop or whatever to try and find a semi-healthy snack.  It's nearly impossible.  Not to mention the fact that you'll have hoards of candy bars and potato chips just begging you to purchase them.  I know that sometimes it's unavoidable, in which case you just do the best you can.  But the better option is to be prepared.  I like to make my own protein bars before I go out of town (let me know if you'd like the recipe).  I just throw a bunch of them in little Ziploc bags so that they're readily available.  Apparently I have a thing for Ziploc bags.  I also take nuts and beef jerky with me, and often times I'll take some clementines and/or dried fruit as well just to have on hand.  And remember those collagen protein chews I mentioned?  I usually take a whole bag of those bad boys as does my husband (we sort of have an unlimited supply).  Prepare prepare prepare.  I can't stress that enough.  Do your best to not get stuck in the gift shop.  Those stores aren't exactly conducive to healthy eating.

My last suggestion is to always be aware.  Be aware of what how you're feeling before you sit down to a meal or reach for a snack.  It's okay to cheat a little, but don't do it on the fly. Make it a conscious decision and then don't worry about it.  Here's a good example.  Last Friday, after an incredibly long day, the hubs and I finally headed out to get dinner.  It was 10:00 pm.  We ended up at a cute little Italian restaurant.  I was fine with that mostly because it was the only place we could find that was relatively quiet.  We were there to eat, but also to celebrate a little.  So, I quickly made a plan in my head that I thought would probably work.  Tomatoes on mozzarella slices as an appetizer, salad with chicken and prosciutto - dressing on the side as an entree, and whatever dessert looked good.  See?  Preemptive cheat.  It was a celebration, so I planned my cheat.  I also planned to only eat 1/2 of my dessert.  And that's exactly what I did.  How?  Well, I made the decision beforehand so I didn't have to grapple over having just one more bite. I made my plan and then I remained aware.  Now, that might seem like it would take the "fun" out of going out to eat, and you know, I guess for some people it might.  But if you are more committed to living healthfully and eating a healthy lean diet than you are to maintaining the "enjoyment" factor of food, it's a no-brainer.  Honesty, it's the perfect happy medium.  You don't have to give up every single indulgence, you just have to plan, and then you can choose your indulgences wisely.  It takes practice, sure, but habits are created by the things that you practice the most.  If you practice controlled indulgences and stay mindful of your actions, you'll be surprised how quickly it becomes a habit.  I have this little list of tips saved as an image on my phone.  I can't tell you how many times I've pulled it up and looked at it while I was traveling.  It's simple, but it works.

  
You can stay on track with your diet while traveling.  Really, you can.  I have more ideas on the subject (of course) and I'll get to them.  But I'd love to know what you think about this so far.  I'd also love to know some of your strategies for staying on track while you're on vacation.

3 comments:

  1. I have been trying to practice this type of mindset lately. Between going out of town, out of town visitors, holidays, ect that are always on the horizon... there will always be something throwing me out of my groove. But that doesn't have to affect my food choices. I am getting better at planning ahead. This stuff is always a good reminder. I'd love your protein bar recipe. I've got a great protein (pb) ball one I make, but it's always nice to switch things up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hunch that you could probably give ME some tips! That peanut butter protein ball recipe would be a good start:). Seriously! Hook me up! Email it to me and I'll post it with the one that I use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, this made me laugh! ...I come home from vacation with SO many empty ziplocs (yes of course I save them if they're not dirty). I'm still in a learning phase where my husband and I try to fill our time when we're out together with something besides junk. Its much harder than I'd thought it would be. And I used to love to bake, but don't do it often since I'll snarff it all. Now my husband is the trouble maker-he LOVES to make bread and any other baked good and it makes it much harder to resist coming from him. Perhaps on day he'll come around as your guy has!

    ReplyDelete