Monday, January 27, 2014

My Second (but not final) Attempt to Convince You to Hit the Weight Room

This is going to come as a huge surprise so prepare yourselves. I'm going to talk more about weight training.  Surprise!!!  I spent all day today thinking about the things that I left out of my last post. It was kind of like when someone says something mean, and about an hour later, you think of all the awesome comebacks you could have used. Except no mean-ness here. Just some points I forgot to mention regarding cardio vs. weights.  Maybe I'll throw in a few pictures of some boobless muscle heads too.  You know, just as a bonus.
What I'm about to say isn't just my opinion. It's science. Proven time and time again. It also isn't new information. It's just information that people don't like to hear. But not you, right? You want to know this stuff. It's the stuff that will make or break your efforts (actually, diet is the biggest part, but this is a close second). Let's break this down.


Cardio, the simple explanation:
Cardio is the most basic thing you can do when it comes to burning calories.  It's easy and convenient which is why most people begin an exercise program by daily walks on the treadmill or sessions on the eliptical.  You really just need legs and a pair of shoes to make it work.  Let's talk science: Cardio burns calories. But ONLY while you're actually exercising. Go for a 3 mile run and you'll burn roughly 300 calories. Right then. As far as calories burned throughout the rest of the day? Nada. Which is where I believe women make a huge mistake. They think that if they went for a run, they will more efficiently burn calories for the rest of the day. Nope. Sorry. The other issue with cardio sessions that last longer than about 25-30 minutes, is that your body goes from burning body fat to burning your own lean tissue, simply because it's an easier source of fuel. It's referred to as being in a catabolic state. I don't know about you, but that freaks me out. I don't want to be burning the muscle I worked so hard to build. Have you ever had someone tell you that they gained weight while they were training for a marathon? Yeah, it's probably true. When your body is in a catabolic state for a prolonged period of time day after day, it is likely to hold on to that body fat for dear life. I have personally experienced this. Frustrating beyond description. So keep this in mind; 2-3 sessions of cardio lasting 15-20 minutes is enough to keep your heart healthy. Period. Anything else is actually hindering your efforts to build a lean, muscular physique.

Weight Training, also the simple explanation:
It's not as basic and mindless as cardio.  To REALLY master the basics you need access to some weight lifting equipment (aka: a gym).  But it does SO much more for your physique than cardio can do.  Let's talk science: Studies have shown over and over again that after a weight training workout, the metabolism can be boosted for up to 36 hours. That means that if you're sitting in front of your TV, instead of burning 60 calories an hour, you'll burn 70 calories an hour. Pfft! Big deal, you say. Okay, take that 10 extra calories and multiply it by 36. Now take that number and multiply it by the number of workouts you do (or will start doing after you finish reading this, because I am making such a compelling case) every week. In my case it's 5. That's 1800 extra calories I'm burning every week, not including the calories I'm burning during my actual workouts. Weight training, along with eating the right things at the right times (I'll get into that later) puts your body in an anabolic state instead of a catabolic state. For the sake of simplicity, anabolic means "building up" (good) and catabolic means "breaking down" (bad). Okay. While it's great to be burning more calories for 36 hours after the workout, it's not going to help you long-term unless you are consistent with your workout program (which you should be, but I'll get to that in a later post). The idea is to build up a larger degree of lean muscle mass, which then basically serves as your calorie burning powerhouse in the body. Lean curves, strong body, and higher metabolism??? Um, yes please.

There's another category as far as exercise is concerned.  It's called high intensity interval training or HIIT.  It creates effects with your metabolic rate closer to that of weight lifting.  It's referred to as Metabolic Training.  It has a slew of benefits that we'll discuss soon.


So.  Are you sold yet?  Have I convinced you to hit the weight room?  I received a comment a few days ago regarding the intimidation factor of entering a weight room.  I think many of you, myself included, can relate to this:

"Fear. Fear was my motivation to work out for a LONG time. Fear of what I'd look like if I didn't do it, fear of what I would feel like if I didn't do it, and fear of never being able to break that bad habit.
I've since learned to LOVE my workouts. The buzz, oh baby, the buzz. I love it when my body shivers because I pushed my self a bit harder than last time.
But alas, here I am setting out my running shoes for the hot date I have with the treadmill tomorrow. I am stuck in a purely cardio-ed world (Yeah grammar!).
I blame that fear again. I'm afraid of looking like a fool while trying out new workouts. I'm afraid of all those bars and things that look like painters scaffolding (I know I'm just going to trip on them anyway). I'm also afraid of, get this, the people in the weight section of the gym. I don't know if all gyms are like this, but at my gym, that section is DOMINATED by men. And they are scary! Pardon my neophobia. I'll break the habit one day... hopefully."

Does this strike a chord with anyone else, or is it just me?  I know exactly how she feels.  So let's tackle this together.  About a year ago, I read an article called 10 Ways to Feel Less Intimidated in the Weight Room.  The tips I found most useful were these:

1) Have a plan and know it well.  Until about a month ago, I took my workout plan with me to the gym.  Printed out.  On paper.  Did I feel like a nerd?  Yep. But it helped me stay focused and stick to my plan instead of wandering aimlessly around the weight room.  I actually started getting teased (in a fun way) about carrying it around with me.  Hey, at least I met a few people.

2) Remember that everyone has to start somewhere.  Every single person who lifts weights, even the men, know what it feels like to look at all that equipment and feel overwhelmed.  They are not judging you.  Trust me.  Even the muscle-heads at my gym are quick to give a smile and a high-five to the rookies.  Besides, they're worried about reaching their own goals.  So don't stress about it.

3) Listen to some music that amps you up.  If my music is cranked (to a safe level of course), I can tune anything out.  Seriously.  I can get into a mode where I wouldn't even notice if a bomb went off 5 feet away from me.  So, in other words, get on itunes and download some killer songs.  I've got suggestions if you want them.  Just sayin.

4) Wear flattering but comfortable clothing.  Crazy thing.  I'm more confident and I tend to work harder when I have cute workout clothes on.  Invest in some workout clothes that make you feel amazing.  It's SO worth it.  You don't need a million outfits, but a few cute bra tops, tanks, and shorts will make a world of difference.  As trendy as it is, Lululemon is definitely my favorite.  When those prices are just too much for me to swallow, I like Old Navy (seriously, there's some cute stuff), Target, and strangely, Victoria's Secret (workout clothes are sold online).

5) Be confident.  Act like you've been weight training for years.  There's no wrong kind of resistance training as long as your form is sound (shoulders down, chest lifted, back supported, etc.).  Besides, I promise you, nobody cares.  I see people doing things that are definitely not standard lifts ALL THE TIME.  I think they rock.

While I really think it's important to have access to a proper weight room, I do understand that some people can't or really don't want to join a gym.  I get it.  In fact, I have a situation currently that only allows me to attend the gym 2-4 times a week (my 2 year old was diagnosed with T1 diabetes in December - cramped my style just a tad).  Over the past few years, my husband and I have invested in several pieces of exercise equipment that allow us to do our workouts at home when we need to.  It's not ideal, but it can be done.  It's possible to set up a decent home gym without having to sell your car.  Really though, a gym is your best option, especially during the winter months.  Swimsuit season is a comin', so get the hell in there and pick up something heavy.  If you need a starting point click here.  Get one workout under your belt and I promise, you're weight room anxiety will decrease significantly, if not disappear entirely.

Don't worry girls.  I didn't forget.  This picture is for my flat chested fitness comrades. 
You're welcome.  And I need that cute top.

6 comments:

  1. You inspired me to intentionally lifted weights today at the gym, instead of doing my typical HITT workout. I may or may not like you tomorrow. That all depends on if I can walk. Thanks for the great reminder that weights does a body good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do you hate me??? Glad you were reunited with the weight room. HITT is also one of my favorite things to do. I get lured into that class WAY too easily: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've been adding weights back in and it feels great! I believe in muscle memory, so the soreness hasn't been too bad. Though I know all the benefits of weight lifting. It's surprising to me how easy it is to slip out of good habits. Well, that and the fact I haven't belonged to an actual gym since we left Salt Lake. So these posts have been great timing, since I joined one in December. I could only do so much with the set of weights we have at home. Anyway, great posts! Keep it up. And, by the way, your body looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Sarah! Seriousy, when you come back this summer, you should come join me for a workout. Just don't show me up, mmm-kay??? Yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Show you up? Ha. You're really funny. What happened to the post on your nutritional guru? I was going to say that I sure wished I lived in SL. I'd make friends with her myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, you HAVE to come to some of her classes during the summer. She's freaking incredible. Sometimes a little scary too.

    ReplyDelete